One of the biggest attractions of the European summers is the music festivals. Every year, tourists flock to these popular festivals, camping under the twinkling stars, and catching their favorite bands perform live on stage. Whether it is the hugely popular Tomorrowland or Malta’s Earth Garden, music lovers will be spoilt for choice. Here are some of the top choices for summer music festivals in Europe:
- Primavera Sound, Barcelona: This is unarguably one of the finest music festivals that are celebrated by the Mediterranean at the Parc Del Forum, during a weekend in early summer. Music artists like Radiohead, Bjork, The Cure, etc have performed in this festival.
- Earth Garden, Malta: This is one of the biggest alternative music festivals that offer music revelers with out-of-the-world entertainment, art, and positive energies. This festival is organized at the National Park in a mind-blowing natural setting with an attractive campsite. You can spend hours at the creative workshops, Ethnic Market, and finger-licking foods at the stalls. The festival is known for showcasing the finest underground acts; so, be ready to soak in some blues, reggae, funk, alternative rock, psychedelic trance, disco, house, and hip-hop. This year you can enjoy almost 100 acts spread across six venues and some of the featured artists include Horse Meat Disco, Panda Dub, K.O.G. & The Zongo Brigade.
- Glastonbury Festival, England: This brings to you the quintessential music festival experience at Somerset and caters to almost 175,000 visitors. This is a massive multi-genre music event that has something for everyone, whether it is art installations, theater, circus, etc. Big names in the music world like Adele, David Bowie, and Dolly Parton have performed here.
- Sziget Festival, Budapest: This is held every August at the island of Óbudai-sziget since 1993. It brings together almost 500,000 visitors from all over Europe and the world. Besides its live concerts, guests can also enjoy a variety of sporting activities and cultural events here. Some of the biggest performers here have been Dua Lipa, Calvin Harris, Major Lazer, and Stormzy.
- Tomorrowland, Belgium: This is one of the biggest electronic music festivals held annually at Boom, a Belgian town south of Antwerp. It has been organized ever since 2005 when it made its debut. This festival is famous for its artfully-designed stages, world-class cuisines, and outstanding art shows; it is perhaps the largest EDM festivals globally and attracts more than 1000 DJs. Its lineup is impressive featuring the likes of David Guetta, Carl Cox, Afrojack, Armin van Buuren, etc.
- EXIT Festival, Serbia: Originally a student movement in 2000, the EXIT festival became one of the biggest summer music festivals. It is organized at Novi, a city on the Danube and promotes more than 1000 artists. The main stage can entertain more than 35,000 guests and this festival has drawn legendary performers from all music genres.
- Hideout Festival, Croatia: This is popular for its sun-soaked parties, beachside stages, and the beautiful Adriatic waters that form the perfect backdrop for some jaw-dropping EDM performances. It is a popular European beach festival that is held at the Zrce Beach and spans over 5 days of non-stop partying besides the ricking performances. Hideout has open-air venues that showcase all types of electronic styles whether it is techno, disco, house, or trance.
- Roskilde Festival, Denmark: This is undoubtedly one of the biggest music festivals in North Europe and dates back to 1971. It is a non-profit event that offers its proceeds for cultural work and humanitarian programs. The festival caters to more than 130,000 revelers every year and is held at Roskilde near Copenhagen. It features both Scandinavian bands and global artists like Kendrick Lamar and Taylor Swift.